Thursday, June 28, 2012

Banana Bread

I fell into a fortune of bananas that needed to be used at the beginning of the month. The bananas were in good shape when I received them, but I knew that if I let them sit for awhile, they'd become perfect for some delicious banana bread (one of my own guilty pleasures). So, I decided to go on a hunt for a banana bread recipe that my wonderful niece could enjoy. Having heard of Chocolate Covered Katie a few months ago, I knew that was the first place I should look. Katie, the blogger/creator of this website, eats completely vegan, which means everything she makes is dairy and egg free. Honestly, if you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, but LOVE sweets (like I do), she has so many delicious and mostly healthy recipes. 


Here is Katie's recipe for Fat-Free Banana Bread. I didn't strictly use her recipe because I didn't have some of the ingredients. Instead, I used this recipe


So, some specifics about my delicious Banana Bread. In the recipe that I used, it called for milk alternative... I used canned coconut milk. The only vanilla I have is PURE vanilla from Mexico, so it is potent! I cut the vanilla in half. I added a small amount of agave just because I wasn't sure how an 8 year old would feel about the banana bread being unsweetened. 


Cooking the bread took a lot longer than I had expected. I cooked the loaf for about a half hour, then had to cook it another 15-20 minutes, at which point I put some foil over the pan. If you stick the knife in the bread to check it, don't be afraid if it is a bit gooey inside. It will still be okay to eat!! 




When we took the banana bread out, it was amazing! It had a great texture and density. My niece, who is almost 9, LOVED it! She was thrilled that it wouldn't hurt her tummy, but also loved the flavor. I followed the advice online and stored the bread in the fridge. Next time I will probably follow CCK's recipe, but add some Enjoy Life! brand chocolate chunks... 



If you look at this picture, you can kind-of see the inside of the loaf to see just how moist it is. I felt that the banana flavor blended well with the other flavors and wasn't overwhelming. If my niece liked nuts, I would add some chopped walnuts, but this was delicious, too. To add a little bit of sweetness, we also drizzled our pieces with honey!! Yummy!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment