Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My New Journey

So, this story goes all the way back to elementary school... 

As a young girl, I dreamed of being a teacher. I loved reading sooo much that when I got my own room in 4th grade, I had a book shelf and it was FULL of books. My bedroom became my classroom. My dolls, stuffed animals, and imaginary people were my students. I had a chalkboard (a large piece of poster board) which allowed "students" to check out books, detailed their behavior, and had the class rules. Anyway, I was convinced through middle school that I wanted to be a teacher. Then came the end of high school and I had thought of many things that I'd like to be, but I settled on teacher because it was what I "always" wanted. 

I went through college, enjoying my classes in education and especially enjoying psychology courses. I thought that teaching was going to be great and that it was what I was meant to do. After graduating college, I found finding a job was really hard. I eventually found a job that was only 4 days a week, but it was inner city and it was sort-of teaching. I worked there for 6 years, each year different than the one before. I eventually got moved to full-time as my position and responsibilities changed. 

Now we're here, 2012. We aren't quite to today... let's go back to April. I was debating whether or not teaching was for me. I had some issues with co-workers at that job and felt like I wasn't meant to be there. I wasn't sure what God wanted from me, so I kept moving forward, waiting to see what would happen. At the end of April, I was called into a meeting with one of my bosses and the Human Resources director... I thought for sure I had done something wrong. In that meeting, on a Friday afternoon, I was told that because of funding issues, my job was cut. I was heartbroken, not because I was out of a job, but because my beloved students were going to be the ones suffering. Let me explain this a bit... my job was one of importance to people who are in the school, those outside of the school wouldn't see it. My job consisted mostly of small reading groups, media studies classes, and some math assistance. While the school that I worked for might not notice the loss in some ways, the students will experience the loss when they fall further behind because they don't have that extra assistance. The library at the middle school where I was working was my baby... it is hard to think what might happen to it now. 

So, here comes my journey... I have decided that the loss of that job was God's plan for my life. He is calling me to something bigger and better in His eyes. The journey truly is for me to figure out through His leading. My heart is still in working with kids, especially those in upper middle school - early high school. I am trusting that God will provide me with opportunities where I can pursue my true passion. For security purposes, I will not disclose information about the jobs that I apply for, but in the interest of the blog, I will share if I find anything worth mentioning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment